William John Posedel
(Sailor Bill or Barnacle Bill)
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 5' 11", Weight 175 lb.
- High School St. Vincent's High School (Vallejo)
- Debut April 23, 1938
- Final Game September 13, 1946
- Born August 2, 1906 in San Francisco, CA USA
- Died November 28, 1989 in Livermore, CA USA
He was a long-time coach for the Pittsburgh Pirates (1949-1953), St. Louis Cardinals (1954-1957), Philadelphia Phillies (1958), San Francisco Giants (1959-1960), Oakland A's (1968-1972), and San Diego Padres (1974). He appears in the 1952 Topps baseball card set as a coach for the Pirates.
He was also a scout for the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1948, the Cleveland Indians in 1961, and Kansas City A's from 1962 to 1967, during which time he stepped in briefly as the manager of the Daytona Beach Islanders in 1964 and the Lewiston Broncs in 1965.
Posedel served in the Navy twice, 1925-1929 and January 1942 to October 1945.
- Gregory H. Wolf: "Bill Posedel", in Chip Greene, ed.: Mustaches and Mayhem, Charlie O's Three-Time Champions: The Oakland Athletics 1972-74, SABR, Phoenix, AZ, 2015, pp. 291-296. ISBN 978-1-943816-07-1