Dwyer Stadium

From BR Bullpen

Dwyer Stadium (II) in Batavia, NY, was the home of Batavia affiliated baseball from 1996 through 2019. After that and the Coronavirus pandemic-canceled 2020 season, MLB's 2021 Minor League Reorganization eliminated the Batavia Muckdogs and most other New York-Penn League teams.

The Muckdogs then joined the Perfect Game Collegiate Baseball League.

A Class A-Short Season team in a saturated region - three Triple-A, one Double-A, and three Short-A teams lay within 50 miles of a line between Erie, PA, and Syracuse, NY - the franchise was already so troubled that the Rochester Red Wings operated it from 2008 through 2017, with the NYPL doing so in 2018 and 2019. Attendance rose a bit in 2018, then the next year by half - and out of the NYPL basement.

That led to a lease renewal through April 1, 2022 - impacted, of course, by the contraction. Different ownership then landed a Perfect Game Collegiate Baseball League franchise, and the new Muckdogs won Genesee County Chamber of Commerce Entrepreneurial Business of the Year by successfully bringing baseball back to Dwyer.

State Street Stadium opened on this piece of ground in 1939 - the same historic year the league was founded at a meeting in Batavia. The ballpark's name also changed, amid World War II fervor, to MacArthur Stadium in honor of General Douglas MacArthur. In 1973, the wooden stadium changed names again - to Dwyer Stadium, for longtime club president Edward Dwyer.

Amid a wave of new ballparks around the country, the current Dwyer Stadium opened on the same site in 1996.

Batavia's baseball-historic 1939 saw it host six teams founding the Pennsylvania-Ontario-New York (PONY) League and as well as the opening of the earlier stadium that would last nearly 60 years.