Fred James Hatfield
- Bats Left, Throws Right
- Height 6' 1", Weight 171 lb.
- School Troy State Teachers College, Birmingham Southern College
- High school Troy (NC) High School
- Debut August 31, 1950
- Final Game May 13, 1958
- Born March 18, 1925 in Lanett, AL USA
- Died May 22, 1998 in Tallahassee, FL USA
Fred Hatfield was a third baseman who played nine years in the majors. He didn't hit much, but he knew how to draw a walk, and he could field his position. While in the minors, Hatfield missed the 1943-1945 seasons due to military service.
After retiring as a player, Hatfield managed in the minors from 1960 to 1963, then spent five years as head coach at Florida State University (1964-1968). He was a minor league instructor for the St. Louis Cardinals from 1968 to 1971, and then managed in the minors again (1970 and 1972-1976) and was later a Detroit Tigers coach in 1977 and 1978.
Year-by-Year Managerial Record
Hatfield also managed the 1969 Florida Instructional League team for the St. Louis Cardinals.