Wilfred Ivy Johnston
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 5' 11½", Weight 170 lb.
- School Davidson College, North Carolina State University, University of North Carolina
- Debut June 29, 1924
- Final Game August 10, 1924
- Born July 9, 1899 in Charlotte, NC USA
- Died May 15, 1959 in Tyler, TX USA
Fred Johnston was a college football star in North Carolina. His gridiron reputation was so great that after transferring from Davidson College to the University of North Carolina in 1921, he was the subject of a dispute between the University of Virginia and UNC, Virginia refusing to play if he were allowed on the field.
Newspapers often called him Red, and his last name was frequently reported as Johnson.