Joseph Phillip Cassidy
born Joseph Philip Cassiday
- Height 5' 9½", Weight 144 lb.
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- School Villanova University
- Debut April 18, 1904
- Final Game October 7, 1905
- Born February 8, 1883 in Chester, PA USA
- Died March 25, 1906 in Chester, PA USA
Joe Cassidy was the Washington Senators' regular shortstop in 1904 and 1905. He died at his home of typhoid fever after an illness of 7 weeks at age 23, just prior to the start of what would have been his third big league season. As a result, he is one of only two players to play multiple seasons and have at least 500 at-bats in each season (the other is Homer Smoot, a contemporary). Joe led the AL in triples with 19 in his first season, abruptly finishing his career with a .228/.258/.297 line and 23 triples in 303 games.