- Bats Right, Throws Unknown
- Height 5' 11", Weight 175 lb.
- Debut May 26, 1884
- Final Game September 8, 1890
- Born April 27, 1857 in Philadelphia, PA USA
- Died July 8, 1929 in Philadelphia, PA USA
Joe Kappel played for the 1884 Philadelphia Quakers and the 1890 Philadelphia Athletics. He was a catcher with the Quakers while with the Athletics, for whom he played far more games, he appeared in the outfield and infield, but only occasionally at catcher.
Born in Philly, his minor league career from 1883-96 took him to numerous stops.
His brother Henry "Heinie" Kappel was also in the majors in the late 1880's.