Note: This page is for pitcher Rick Reed; For the umpire of the same name, click here
Richard Allen Reed
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 6' 0", Weight 205 lb.
- School Marshall University
- High School Huntington (WV) High School
- Debut August 8, 1988
- Final Game September 26, 2003
- Born August 16, 1964 in Huntington, WV USA
On July 22, 1992, pitching for the Kansas City Royals, Rick Reed failed to retire a single batter in a start against the Boston Red Sox. He gave up singles to Billy Hatcher and Phil Plantier, then was replaced by Juan Berenguer while facing Wade Boggs; Berenguer completed a walk which was charged to Reed. It was the last time a Royals starter failed to retire a single batter in a game until September 6, 2014, when Danny Duffy had to leave a game because of an injury after making only one pitch. In Reed's case, whatever was ailing him was not too serious, as he made his next scheduled start on July 31st.
- 1991 Pitcher of the Year American Association Buffalo Bisons
- 2-time NL All-Star (1998 & 2001)
- 15 Wins Seasons: 2 (1998 & 2002)
- 200 Innings Pitched Seasons: 3 (1997, 1998 & 2001)