Shorty Des Jardien
Paul Raymond Des Jardien
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 6' 5", Weight 205 lb.
- School University of Chicago
- High School Wendell Phillips High School
- Debut May 20, 1916
- Final Game May 20, 1916
- Born August 24, 1893 in Coffeyville, KS USA
- Died March 7, 1956 in Monrovia, CA USA
Desjardien is, as of 2009, the last of six major league players who are remembered with the first name "Shorty". In his case, he was called Shorty because he was so tall - 6' 5".
Desjardien also played for Marshalltown in 1916, posting a 1.62 ERA.
During World War I he was a lieutenant in the infantry.
His unusual last name is spelled in a number of different ways in Census records; his father originally came from Canada where the surname was likely the relatively common "Desjardins", which is virtually impossible to pronounce correctly in English, hence the strange and various spellings.